- Constant Flow Air-Line Respirator and Constant Flow Duo-Flow Respirator options
- Choice of Hypalon, duck cloth, or neoprene hood to meet various blasting applications.
- Vulcanized thread (elastomer to hood seam) on all new assemblies.
- Two to four easy-to-remove flat glass cover lenses mounted within special foam material on the lens cartridge.
Abrasi-Blast Respirators are air-line devices with tight-fitting facepieces and durable hoods that provide respiratory and upper body protection for workers engaged in abrasive blasting. Because blasting operations can vary widely in shipbuilding, construction, and utility industries, among others, the Abrasi-Blast Respirator can be modified through selection of different components or models to meet specific applications.
The respirator is available in Constant Flow Air-Line Respirator and Constant Flow Duo-Flo Respirator models, both of which can accommodate head protection products under the hood.
The constant flow model is a Type CE device as well and provides protection in abrasive blasting operations within lower contaminant levels (airborne lead concentrations less than 2,500 uq/rn'),
Consisting of a hood, facepiece with lens housing, breathing tube, lens cartridge, flow-control device, air-supply hose, and support belt, the Abrasi-Blast Respirator is designed for diverse applications by varying individual components.
1. Flow-Control Device/Fittings-
the constant-flow model is approved for use in atmospheres not immediately dangerous to life or health and operates through an adjustable or non-adjustable control valve.
These versions incorporate the quick disconnect fitting with the flow-control device.
Adjustable Control-Valve Connectors feature a control knob that allows users to vary air flow within NIOSH-required flow rates (4 cfm minimum to 15 cfm maximum). The connectors are designed to deliver air at a fixed inlet pressure regardless of the approved hose length used. Low-pressure adjustable valve-connectors require inlet pressure between 10 and 15 psig with approved hose length of 8 to 50 feet. High-pressure adjustable valve-connectors require inlet pressure between 35 and
40 psig with approved hose length of
8 to 300 feet.
Non-adjustable Control-Valve Connectors are available in both low pressure and high-pressure versions and deliver required air flow to the facepiece at a fixed inlet pressure regardless of approved hose length used. (Inlet pressure and hose length comparable to adjustable valve requirements are listed previously.)
Constant Flow Duo-Flo Option- the Abrasi-Blast Respirator is also available in a constant flow duo-flo configuration. This configuration is designed to handle both air-supplied and air-purifying (particulate only) modes of operation.
Air-supplied mode of operation provides continuous flow of air into the facepiece and enables users to work for long periods of time in contaminated atmospheres without depleting the cartridge. Air-purifying mode of operation is designed for continuous
use or when air supply is disconnected or not available. If air supply should fail, users are automatically protected by the air-purifying cartridge and can conveniently escape contaminated areas.
2. Lens Cartridge- the cover lens cartridge assembly is an exclusive MSA design, allowing for lens changes without stopping work. Each removable lens (except for the last) has tabs which are pulled to remove cover lenses as abrasion occurs. The last lens has no pull tabs as it protects the facepiece's polycarbonate lens. Used lenses are stored in the hood's front pocket.
Five different lens cartridge types are available to match different blasting levels.
• For light abrasive blasting, MSA offers cartridges containing four 0.06-inch-thick glass lenses. Users can also choose regular glass or tempered lenses, which provide extra protection against breakage.
• For medium abrasive blasting, MSA offers cartridges containing three 0.09-inch-thick glass lenses. Users may select tempered or untempered lenses.
• For heavy abrasive blasting, cartridges containing two or three 0.12-inch-thick glass-laminated lenses are available.
3. Hood- various hoods are available to meet different blasting applications:
• A Hypalon hood is available in both waist- and shoulder-length styles for general-purpose blasting.
• A lighter-weight duck cloth hood is available in waist- and chest-length styles to provide greater comfort during general purpose blasting.
• Neoprene hoods in waist- and shoulder length styles are available for close-in, heavy blasting operations.
• This Hypalon front, knit back hood is for use with blasting suits. This hood is offered in shoulder-length only.
4. Facepiece- the Abrasi-Blast Respirator uses a tight-fitting, full-face Ultravue" Facepiece together with the cover lens housing assembly.
Constant flow models feature a choice of dual (standard) or single exhalation valves.
5. Breathing Tube- the blow-molded breathing tube, which can be worn inside or outside of the hood, is available in standard and reinforced models.
6. Air-Supply Hose- three types of MSA air-supply hose are available in lengths of 8, 15,25, 50 and 100 feet.
Neoprene is the most durable/chemical resistant hose type. Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is the most lightweight. Coiled nylon expands or contracts according to need.
MSA air-supply hoses must be used
to maintain NIOSH approvals on the Abrasi-Blast Respirator.
7. Belt-two support belts are available: a standard web belt and a urethane belt for easierdecontamination.
Standard Constant Flow Abrasi-Blast Respirator Assemblies
(Includes Hypalon hood, medium facepiece with dual exhalation valve (472666), lens housing, one lens cartridge (four 0.06 " untempered glass cover lenses per cartridge), breathing tube (470734), web belt (9961), and adjustable Snap-tite* (AL) valve connector with socket assembly).
|Hypalon Hood||Flow-Control Device||Complete Assembly|
|(Order air-supply hose separately).|
Build Your Own Abrasi-Blast Respirator
To design your own respirator, purchase component parts separately by selecting part numbers from the following tables. You may also contact Western Safety Products at (206) 264-0808
1. Fittings/Flow-Control Devices
For constant flow respirator versions, select one flow-control device; male fittings are already incorporated. If necessary, choose air-line hose fitting from female socket assemblies. For pressure-demand, make no selection.
|High-Pressure (35-40 psig) Flow-Control Device|
|Quick Disconnect Male Fitting||Adjustable Control Valves w/ Plug less Socket Assembly||Non-Adjustable Control Valve w/ Plug less Socket Assembly|
|Snap-rite. stainless steel||474024||474006|
|Hansen, stainless steel||474028||474008|
|Low-Pressure (10-15 psig) Flow-Control Device|
|Quick Disconnect Male Fitting||Adjustable Control Valves with Plug less Socket Assembly||Non-Adjustable Control Valve with Plug less Socket Assembly|
|Snap-rite. stainless steel||474033||474015|
|Hansen, stainless steel||474037||474017|
|Quick Disconnect Plugs & Female Socket Assemblies for use withall systems|
|Quick Disconnect Fittings||Male Plug w/ 1/4" NPTF||Female Socket Assembly|
|Snap-tits, stainless steel||629672||471778|
|Hansen stainless steel||628208||471779|
|2. lens Cartridge|
|Cartridge Carton (12 per carton)||Lens Description||Recommended Use|
|473238||0.06" thick, untempered, 4 per carton||Light blasting|
|473240||0.06" thick, tempered, 4 per carton||Light blasting|
|473798||0.09" thick, untempered, 3 per carton||Medium blasting|
|473800||0.09" thick, tempered, 3 per carton||Medium blasting|
|473802||0.12" thick, untempered, laminated, 2 per carton||Heavy blasting|
|481742||0.12" thick, untempered, laminated, 3 per carton||Heavy blasting|
|3. Hood Options|
|480699||Duck cloth chest|
|480697||Duck cloth waist|
|486329||Knit back, Hypalon front, shoulder|
|4. Facepiece comes with glass laminated lens; complete with lens housing.|
|Constant Flow Ultravue*|
|Part No.||Exhalation Valve'>x,||Size|
|* Duo-Flow Abrasi-Blasts Respirators are approved with only single exhalation valves.|
|5. Breathing Tube|
|470734||Standard breathing tube'|
|801758||Reinforced breathing tube*|
|'Duo-Flo Abrasi-Blast Respirators are approved with only standardbreathing tube.|
|6. Air-Supply Hose-|
|Hose Material||Hose Coupling||100 ft.||50 ft.||25 ft.||15 ft.||8 ft.|
|Hose reel - 50 ft. of 3/8" neoprene hose PIN 455022||72444|
|* Recommended usable length 4-2S ft.|
|9961||Standard web belt|
|Parts & Accessories|
|10087006||Lens housing adapter, less lens cartridge|
|476089||Air-line filter-cartridge holder for use with|
|GMA cartridge (464031, box of 1 0 each)|
|468705||Replacement zip-in collar assembly|
|454819||Spectacle Kit for prescription lenses|
Approvals & Standards
The Abrasi-Blast Respirator has the following NIOSH/MSHA approvals:
- Approval TC-19C-161 for Abrasi-Blast Respirator when used with 8 to o ft. of MSA air-supply hose at an inlet pressure of 10 to 15 psig.
- Approval TC-19C -162 for Abrasi-Blast Respirator when used with 8 to 300 ft. of MSA air-supply hose at an inlet pressure of 35 to 40 psig.
- Duo-Flow Abrasi-Blast Respirator - see NIOSH-approved matrix, PN 818148